After the flood, we stayed for three weeks at a hotel. It was a very colorful experience. Trying to keep 11 kids quiet in a hotel room with paper thin walls is a bit like trying to teach a herd of buffalo to perform in the ballet Swan Lake. In the middle of our adventure we found out some exciting news.
I am expecting again. Not kidding.
LaMonte and I nervously laughed as we felt the weight and appearance of our predicament resting upon our shoulders. Then, we squared our shoulders, prayed, and started up our hill. Within a month, as we were still adjusting to a the many needs of our new little ones, we lost our home, our routines, and my health. We found out that both Henry AND Lucy have Fragile X syndrome. Our contractor took advantage of our situation--adding an extra element of shock and discouragement. The hormones of pregnancy and the difficulty of our situation left me with a mental and physical exhaustion like I have never experienced. We booked a beach house for the kids and I down at Surfside to get out of the hotel situation.
LaMonte drove to Surfside with us to get us set up. For the next few weeks, he would come down on the weekends to be with us. He is amazing, and has been a rock through everything!
Jacob loved building sandcastles!
I swear, heaven's angels followed and carried us through this time. Little miracles constantly reminded me that we were still in God's hands. I could hardly believe the growth and maturity I saw in our older kids as they stepped up to help out. At one point several of us had the flu and could hardly get up. Jason cooked the meals, cared for the kids, and managed the whole situation with kindness and ability beyond his years. Keith willingly took on changing diapers and dressing kids. Rebecca was like a second mother. David's patience and ability to help Kevin and Jacob was incredible to me. Even as I felt the loss of so much around me, I could not help but feel overcome with gratitude for life lessons my children were learning. Even now, we have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of quarreling and arguing. They are all much more willing to help out without being asked. Could I have ever taught these lessons in an environment where I was in complete control and could do it on my own?
David and Jacob crabbing on the pier by our house.
Rebecca and Sam enjoying a touch tank with crabs and other sea creatures at the nature center/aquarium near Surfside.
Ben helping Jacob on the Easter Egg hunt.
Keith and Lucy collecting Easter eggs.
"Jelly beans are the best!"
Following the jelly bean trails to their baskets.
Jason and Henry opening his basket.
Happy birthday, David! Be careful with that knife!
We love you, David!
The situation we came home to several weeks later was very difficult. The wood floor was done, but the kitchen was gone. Weeks of construction would follow. I felt a constant sense of anxiety as we tried to meet the many needs of each of our children and our home. The heavens still seemed to open over us, though. The challenges remained, but blessings were given to help us bear the weight and make it through. We felt the love of Jesus encircling us and lifting us. We were led to people and opportunities that would meet the needs of our family and our home. In having my weaknesses and vulnerability brought so painfully to the surface, I came more fully to feel and understand the power and grace of God. There is no other way we could have made it through. How grateful I am for a Savior who gave his life for me, so that he could give life to me during this time.
Emily thank you for sharing this! Congrats on the baby! I know we didn't know each other for long in Trophy Club, but I still remember your kindness and what a great mother you are! Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteYour tale would be shelved in the adventure section of any library!
ReplyDelete