Sunday, August 12, 2012

Welcome Baby Kevin!

Our little Kevin was born last Thursday, August 9, at 11:50 AM. He weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz and was 20 inches long. By all medical standards the delivery went well, though for me it was terrifying. For some reason I was overwhelmed by an irrational fear that something was going to go horribly wrong. The baby was born without incident, but he seemed unusually sleepy. The nurse noticed him grunting. When they got him back to the nursery his heartrate was around 270 beats per minute. They whisked him off to NICU. LaMonte tried to appear calm when he told me, but he was visibly shaking. "Don't worry," the nurses and doctor's said. "This is a fairly common problem, everything will be ok." But...I didn't believe them. They would say the same thing to every new parent until the official diagnosis revealed otherwise. My worst fears, it seemed, had been confirmed. I was convinced our little son would never be going home with us. It may sound strange, or heartless, but I wouldn't allow myself to feel any attachment to him. I wouldn't think of him by the name we had chosen. I didn't feel any hope...which left me feeling insanely guilty. I did pray for him, though-with all of my heart.
The official diagnosis came back. He has a condition called SVT. It stands for something long and scientific that means "rapid heartbeat." The condition is easily treated with medication and the doctors assurred us he would be just fine. Most cases resolve within the first year of life. Though still not entirely convinced, I allowed myself to open my heart to our little baby. I worked to feed him, to understand his condition, and to overcome the irrational fear and worry that plagued me. We have been at the hospital now for three days. Though at times so tired I have struggled to keep my eyes open, keep my thoughts clear, or even walk a straight line, I have stayed with him as much as possible. How is it that something so tiny and helpless can, so quickly, overtake your heart?
The kids came to visit on Friday, though they could only see him through the window. They are the ones who picked his name, Kevin, months before he was born. They wanted to name him "Kevin" after my brother who just returned from his mission. Also, when they first started school, friends and teachers both would mistakenly call Jason and Keith "Kevin" so they believed we were meant to have a Kevin in our family. LaMonte and I agreed to their name selection, believing that this would help little Kevin form an early bond with his older siblings. LaMonte picked his middle name, Thomas, after Thomas S. Monson-the prophet of our church. LaMonte has thoroughly cared for and spoiled both of us during this hospital stay. He is the best husband and father we could hope for.
The kids have gone to St. Louis to spend the week with my mom. She is amazing! Even for a grandma I would think it would be daunting to take on 7 kids last minute! Right after the long drive to get them, she took them to Grant's Farm and stood in a 1/2 mile line with all of them, hoping to see an elephant show. Anyone who wonders how I manage to have so many children can clearly see how much of this is made possible by the support of a loving husband, mom, and countless other family members and friends who are always reaching out to us with their love and support. We love are little Kevin and are so very grateful to have him as the newest member of our family.

6 comments:

  1. Emily, he is so sweet! I'm so sorry you've felt so much worry. That is so hard to handle, especially on little sleep! Kevin is so sweet, and you are just the mom for him! We'll pray for him and for you and your family. I hope you are feeling more peace and not so much fear. You are an amazing woman! I'm so lucky to have such a great sister-in-law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. As always you build me up with your support and loving comments. I still wish we could live next to each other so I could follow you around and learn your secrets for exercizing patience, creating stablity, and keeping a house clean!

      Delete
  2. Oh Emily, he is so precious!!! Hang in there. You guys are in our thoughts and prayers!! We love you all. Keep us updated! Give sweet little Kevin a kiss for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristie! We miss you guys. You are welcome to come and visit us anytime. Now we finally have more than 2 bedrooms. We'll eat fried chicken for dinner (just don't ask where it came from).

      Delete
  3. Emily, loved reading this post. One of my twin boys had SVT and was digoxin for a year. He was released from the cardiologist at 13 months and the only problem he has had since is with albuterol (asthma medicine) it makes his heart race so he takes a different asthma med instead. As far as I know, there is a slight risk of the SVT resurfaces at puberty... Guess we'll find out in a few years. He is nine now. All the best, Miranda
    p.s. I can't believe you have 8 kids! And I LOVE that you have a farm. You are living my dream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooooo good to hear from you, Miranda! How are you? It was comforting to hear that you have experienced a child with SVT. We met with the cardiologist today. We really like him and feel like our little Kevin is in good hands. Living on a farm has always been my dream as well. It has been wonderful...though we are not that great at farming yet. The garden is dead now. In retrospect, watering probably would have helped out...hmmm...better luck next year.

      Delete