Sunday, September 16, 2012
Ups and Downs
This morning I was struggling to get Keith's attention. Normally this is how it would go... Me: "Keith *pause* KEITH *frustrated pause* KEITH!!!!!!!" Keith: "WHAT???!!!" This morning I tried a new parenting tactic. Instead of raising my voice and my level of frustration I sang to him: "If your name is Keith; if it starts with a K ends with 'eith; if it rhymes with leaf. " (I then had to add a little bridge melody to correct myself when I connected that Keith and leaf in actuality do not rhyme.) It worked! I got his attention, and a smile. He was pleasantly responsive to my request as well. I was walking out the door giving myself a hearty pat on the back for this impressive parenting move when I saw the huge puddle of muddy water on the newly laid wood floor. Going outside, the front yard was covered with broken water balloons. I also noticed that the cats, the dog, and the pig were trying to get in the garbage. I swallowed my pride, got in the van with the kids, then shrugged and with a mental "oh well" tossed a banana peel at the pig as we pulled out of the driveway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment