Several people have asked...and I'm sure many others have wondered...why we would adopt. We can, obviously, have biological children of our own. To best answer this question, I will start with the reasons we did not adopt.
1. We did not feel like superior parents who had already mastered parenting, had everything in control, and were ready to spread our ultimate skills to demonstrate our awesomeness. :-)
2. We did not feel like we needed more kids. It is difficult to sense and meet the needs of any number of children.
3. We did not want to draw attention to ourselves or our parenting. Our little farmhouse tucked on 40 acres away from the mainstream of society was my ideal.
SO...WHY did we adopt??!!
1. I believe that my children are not really mine. I believe they are God's children, and sent to us as a gift and blessing. We raise them, protect them, teach them, and ultimately follow Hannah's example from the bible and give them back to Him.
2. Because these are God's children, I can trust that He will guide us in raising them. I believe that Jesus healed the sick, raised the dead, walked on water and said, "Ask and ye shall receive." and "Follow me." I believe the power of Christ to heal, to guide, and even to walk on water, if necessary, is just as real today.
3. The need is REAL! If you took all of the children who are orphans in the world and organized them into a nation, it would be the 8th largest nation in the world!!! The number of children in need of parents is staggering! If we saw a child starving in the street in front of us, would we walk on by? What if we saw that same child online? What if we just knew he, she or they were out there? It is somewhat tragic to me that as a nation we unite in saving abused and abandoned animals from the pound, but turn a blind eye to children who are literally starving for love and support. I may not feel qualified, but if I truly believe Jesus can calm the sea and raise the dead, surely He has power to make us qualified if we are willing.
What we did NOT fully expect:
We anticipated some struggle and sacrifice. What we did not fully expect were the incredible blessings! The preparation and process strengthened our faith, marriage, and family, improved our parenting, and helped us get our home in better order. The children we thought would be so difficult have been delightful! The challenges are there, but the blessings are SO MUCH GREATER! Somehow it seems that every time we act in faith with a desire to serve God, He opens the windows of heaven and showers us with blessings much much greater than anything we are able to give.
You are amazing! I love how you expressed the reasons and emphasized the blessings! I love that you are REAL people in a REAL family and that perfection is not expected! What a beautiful life!
ReplyDeleteYour amazing attitude, optimism, and perspective makes such a difference. You inspire me Emily!
ReplyDeleteWell said Emily. As always, you are a great example, and you have such a beautiful testimony. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this perspective, Emily! You have always been, and are still such a great role model to me!
ReplyDelete