Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Vacation Adventure!

We just had one of my best family vacation experiences ever!  Funny thing is...I was dreading it before we left.  What if one of us got lost, injured, or ran away?  I was a bit worried something could happen to one of the kids as well:-)  Thankfully, LaMonte and I survived, and stuck together.  The kids also did very well!  No one plugged up "Old Faithful" at Yellowstone, colored on the Christus statue in Salt Lake, vandalized my brother's home in Idaho...and no Emergency Response teams were alerted while we were there (to the best of my knowledge).  The trip was surprisingly calm, enjoyable, and wonderful! 
 One of our first stops was a dinosaur center in Wyoming.  This was entirely for Jacob who is somewhat obsessed with dinosaurs.  He prays for them every night.  When the other kids in church sing, "I am a child of God," Jacob loudly sings, "I am a di-no-saur."  Now he got to meet his best friend face-to-face.
 Our first night we stayed in some cabins nestled against a beautiful river, just a few miles outside of Yellowstone National Park.

 My parents joined us at the cabins that evening.
 Our first stop in Yellowstone was a huge snow bank up against a mountain.  For Texas kids who don't get to see snow very much, a snowball fight in July was a wonderful thing!
 My dad met Henry, Lucy, and Sam for the first time on this trip.  They immediately fell in love with him.
 Traffic was backed up as we headed to our next stop.  Why?  An entire herd of buffalo decided it was easier to make their way along the road then on the steep, rocky terrain.
Next we hiked a steep trail down to a huge waterfall.
 It was truly breathtaking!!  If the view didn't take your breath away, the hike back sure did.  Especially for LaMonte who pushed about 75 pounds worth of kids up the whole way in a cheap double stroller.

 "Old Faithful" was truly a marvel.  Grandpa treated everyone to ice cream while we waited for the show!
 We spent the next few days in Idaho with my brother, Jon and his family.  What a great experience we had with them!   On the Fourth of July, he took us kayaking on a river followed by a picnic.  The boys had a great time setting off fireworks that night.  The next day we went fishing, kayaking, and hiking at Meadow Lake.  It was so beautiful!  The water was emerald colored and crystal clear.  Almost all of the kids caught several fish.  My camera battery gave out, so I don't have many pictures. 
 We went tubing at Lava Hot Springs on Monday.  
 Going down the "toilet bowl!"
 Even Sarah was brave enough to try...and loved it!!!
The older kids went on individual tubes for higher adventure.
 After leaving Jon's, we went to Park City.  We stayed in a 3-bedroom suite at The Canyons resort.  It was a beautiful place.  On Tuesday, we went to Temple Square.  I was nervous and prepped to run if anything got out of hand.
 Awww!  Look how innocent!  Why did I worry???  I am one blessed Mama!

 After we left temple square, LaMonte took us out for lunch at Litza's Pizza...his family's favorite pizza place when he was a kid.
 That evening we got together at a park in Bountiful with his Aunt Merle, Uncle Dave, and the families of two of his cousins.  We had a great time getting to know each other better.  They were awesome with our crew of kids!  We really love them!
The next day we went to Provo.  After a hike in Rock Canyon, we went to the creamery, the Bean Museum, the bookstore, and showed the kids where LaMonte and I kissed for the first time:-)  I wonder if LaMonte would have run away if I could have showed him where that kiss would lead!  Just kidding--it was a beautiful start to a beautiful life together!

We next went to visit the Adams.   Bishop Adams was our bishop while we were at BYU.  It was so fun to see them.  They let the kids pick bags full of apricots and cherries from their trees.  Yum!  That evening we met up with my grandma, aunts, and other family for a picnic in Hobble Creek Canyon.  There is nothing quite like family!  How wonderful to be surrounded by people who love you!  I think this is what it will feel like when we get back to heaven to be reunited with loved ones and ancestors who have gone before us.  It was raining so, I unfortunately didn't get any pictures.

We spent Thursday in Park City.  My parents came to Park City to ride the Gondola up the mountain with us at our resort.  Then we went to visit the Lindsays, some close family friends I grew up with.
 Afterwards, the older kids and LaMonte rode the Alpine Slide.  It has a track nearly a mile long running down the side of the mountain.  In the afternoon, LaMonte took the kids back on the Gondola to go hiking on the mountain.  We all went swimming that evening.  Then it was time to do laundry, pack up, and get ready to go home.  What a wonderful, memorable summer vacation!

2 comments:

  1. A memory maker! You are a brave lady - one with a great husband and awesome kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fun vacation! You have a beautiful family. I loved looking at all your photos. Thanks for sharing this happy excursion with me!

    ReplyDelete